Saturday, May 24, 2014

MTHFR gene mutation, could this be the underlying cause of your illness?







Wow! I just had my genome sequenced through 23 and me. I interpreted the health related results through a site called genetic genie. It turns out that I am heterozygous positive for the MTHFR gene mutation. This means that I have once copy of my gene that is good and one that is mutated. Although this is not the most severe form of a MTHFR mutation, it means that I can only convert about 60 percent of the folate I take in into it's active form.      It also means that I have a problem with converting B12. Having the MTHFR gene mutation is tied to all kinds of diseases including chronic fatigue, depression, bipolar, fibromyalgia, heart disease, cancer, auto immune conditions, miscarriages, and a myriad of other diseases. It affects the body's process called "methylation". Without proper methylation, your body can't make enough "glutathione" which is the bodies number one anti oxidant. This means that the person has trouble removing toxins and stores heavy metals including mercury released from amalgam fillings which I have a lot of. This is setting one up for disease as the person becomes toxic and the body begins to express it's toxicity through different diseases. This may be the answer to my unexplained fatigue and depression/ insomnia issues over the years. If you are tested and find out you have this, it's really pretty simple to remedy. I've read stories where people started using the appropriate supplements and their lives changed. It turns out, since I have it, I have to take a special kind of b12 and folate. It's called methyl b12 and methyl folate. This does the conversion process for your body because it has trouble doing so on it's own. I just started supplementing so I'll have to update you on how it's working for my "chronic fatigue" symptoms. I'm sharing this in hopes that it may help someone else. It turns out that having a MTHFR mutation is more common than you think. Most docs have no idea about it though so many illness are just treated for the symptoms but the root is never addressed being that it's actually this gene mutation that leads to folate and b12 deficiency. Even if your levels show normal in your blood tests, it doesn't mean your body is using the b12 and folate so docs and labs miss this. Also, taking in regular folic acid from fortified foods or vitamins can actually be harmful for someone with this gene mutation because they can't use the folic acid and it builds up. If you have any of the symptoms related to this listed at the link I'm sharing, it may be wise for you to ask your doc for the test or order your gene testing through 23 and me and then interpret your own health data on genetic genie.org. If you don't yourself have any of these issues but know someone who struggles with one of these related diseases, please share it with them and help get the word out. Who knows, you sharing may be the answer to their health problems and you would most definitely be their hero I'm sure..... God bless you -Rob 


P.S. If you are looking to do more research, Here's a great place to start for a more in depth explanation. 


MTHFR gene mutation... What's the big deal about Methylation?



Also, you may want to check out Dr. Ben Lynch's site   and also 



No comments:

Post a Comment