Thursday, October 25, 2012
Stress can greatly affect your health in a negative way
Are you stressed? Do you think it doesn't really matter that much?
Did you know that your stress could be causing your health problems?
Even if you are healthy right now, illness could be scheduled in your future and it could be directly related to the amount of stress in your life right now.
The American Medical Association has said that stress is the root of more than 60% of all human illness and disease.
How does stress affect the body?
Stress can be the cause of the following.....
*ADD and ADHD symptoms
*Irritability and Anger
*Teeth grinding and tension in jaw
*Increased Heart Rate
*Diabetes Type 1 and 2
*Irritable Bowel Syndromw
*Weight Gain and Obesity
*Decreased Sex Drive
*Emotional and Behavioral Problems
*Immune System Dysfunction
*Lack of Energy
*Addiction in General
The list goes on..... Since stress can affect the immune system, it can contribute to all disease.
What can you do about it?
Although you may think that stress is caused by things beyond your control, you are actually the one in control and it's your own thinking that causes most of your stress.
The more you take personal responsibility for your stress and quit blaming other things, the sooner you can get your stress under control.
1.It's not what happens to you that stresses you out, it's your interpretation of what happens to you.
Two people can see a situation differently and react completely differently. One can see a challenging situation as an opportunity and embrace it with determination while another can feel overwhelmed and fearful. It's not the actual events that make us upset, it's our view of these events. The events happen, we create a scenario or interpretation of events in our heads and this releases the emotions accordingly. Fearful thoughts lead to fearful anxious emotions. Positive thoughts lead us to more peace and calmness. Realize that you are in control of your emotions, because you are in control of your thoughts. Making a conscious effort to be aware of our thoughts and to choose to see the positive will greatly reduce your stress.
2. Since stress in a biochemical reaction, it can be halted by choosing to do things that change your biochemistry. There are guaranteed ways of feeling more peaceful and combating stress. Your brain chemicals greatly affect how you see the world. Everyone cycles up and down in our different brain chemicals to some degree. Some days you may have a little more Serotonin which makes us feel more calm, peaceful and helps us to have a better outlook on life. Higher serotonin has also been directly connected with the quality of our sleep. When we get deep restful sleep, it helps lower our stress levels and gives us more reserve when dealing with daily issues. This is why SSRI drugs like Prozac and Zoloft help people with anxiety and depression issues. They help keep more Serotonin in the brain creating a biochemical change alleviating their symptoms. Unfortunately these types of drugs can lead to down regulation of the body's own ability to produce Serotonin and can actually make things worse in the long run. Other brain chemicals like Dopamine, GABA, and Norepinephrine also affect how we feel and our stress levels by giving us what world famous Dr. Daniel Amen calls more "brain reserve" Giving us more ability to deal with the issues life sends our way.
Here are some things we can choose to do daily to raise our brain chemistry.
2. High Nutrient Diet
3. Meditation (think on good positive things)
4. Massage (it doesn't have to be professional massage, touch from a loved one can also help"
5. Acts of altruism (fancy word for helping others)
6. Some supplements like St. Johns wort, Sam-E, Niacin and Omega 3 rich fish oil can help
Do these things first before even considering drugs. They are non toxic and have only good side effects unlike drugs.
"If something negative happening to you right now will not be a big deal 5 to 10 years from now, then why should it be a big deal to you now?"
Find more inspiration @ roblovegreen.com